Beans, Bacon and Eggs
Earlier this morning I was reading the political pages on the New York Times with an eye on the latest in the 2008 Presidential Race. John McCain is up in Canada preaching the benefits of NAFTA while Barack Obama is busy down on the mainland deftly executing some preemptive political maneuvers on the FISA “compromise” while simultaneously preparing a nation advertising campaign of epic proportions. And then I checked the NYT article “Sunday’s Breakfast Menu, June 22″ and I’m looking at a picture of a plate of ham and eggs and that got me thinking about breakfast.
Inspired by everything happening over in the USA I figured it was time to think out-of-the-box and come up with something different from the same old Washington game – and here it is: green beans, steamed and dressed with butter, mixed with fried bacon pieces, and a poached egg served on top.
Ingredients (1 serves)
- 1 handful of green beans
- 1 or 2 bacon rashers
- 1 egg
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- cut bacon into small bits and fry until golden
- steam beans for about 4-6 min.
- poach the egg for about 3 min
- mix a dob of butter with a small crushed garlic clove and stir through beans after they are cooked
- mix bacon bits and beans and serve onto a warm plate and top with the poached egg