Tender veal steak rolls stuffed with melting mozzarella cheese, wrapped in prosciutto, served on a bed of rocket, garnished with Italian parsley and shaved parmesan, surrounded by a cluster of baked cherry tomatoes.
Mozzarella Veal wrapped in Prosciutto served with Roast Tomato Salad
This meal is relatively simple to prepare. The three principle elements are (1) the salad base, (2) baked cherry tomatoes, and lastly (3) the stuffed veal rolls. Preparing the rolls can be done well in advance and this is where most of the time is – so it’s an excellent recipe for those occasions when you want to serve a meal that is visually exciting and tasty, but at the same time you want to keep your time in the kitchen down to a minimum. Preparing the veal for a couple of people takes about 30 min. and can be set aside in a refrigerator the day before. The remaining elements are trivial – baking the tomatoes requires practically no preparation, and the salad is about as simple as you can get – all up 5-10 min. kitchen duty and a total elapsed time of about 20-30 min. between start to delivery on the table.
Ingredients (2 serves)
- The Salad
- 50g rocket leaves
- a handful of Italian parsley
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 50g parmesan cheese (shaved)
- vinaigrette or salad dressing
- 250g veal schnitzel steaks (4)
- 6-8 slices of prosciutto
- 100g mozzarella cheese (6-8 slices)
- 50g butter and a couple tablespoons of olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a sprinkling of sage
- 4 fresh basil leaves
Preparing the stuffed veal rolls.
- tenderize the veal
- season with salt and pepper
- place slices of mozzarella cheese at one end (see above illustration)
- sprinkle a little sage over the mozarella
- place a fresh basil leaf on top
- fold the other end of the veal over on top of the other
- roll the folded veal into a cylinder and wrap with one or two slices of prosciutto
- set aside and repeat the process for each veal streak
- preheat oven to 180 degrees, place tomatoes into a baking dish lined with baking paper
- bake tomatoes in oven for 20-25 min.
- prepare salad by mixing the rocket and basil dressed with the vinaigrette
- place salad in the center of the plates in preparation
- heat oil and butter in a hot frying pan, add the veal rolls and cook for 4-6 minutes turning frequently, remove and arrange two rolls per plate over the salad
- serve roasted tomatoes around the salad and veal rolls
- garnish with sprigs of Italian parsley and shaved parmesan
Putting it all together.